2010 is a year of milestones for my family... A few examples: my husband will be earning his Bachelor's degree in May and turning 50 this fall, my oldest child is turning 21 in just a couple of weeks here (!) and my youngest, in contrast, just turned ten (double digits!) in January.
Yup, it's a big year for us, in a lot of ways. Time marches on, with no regard for how I feel about it, or if I'm ready to have a daughter who can legally order a cocktail.
It makes me ponder age, and aging. It makes me wish I'd accomplished more at this point in my life, but it also makes me proud of what I have managed to do...
This term at school, my third, is winding down fast. (Six classes down, and only 25 to go!) I worked harder this term than I did the first two, and it's only going to get harder from here. Am I up for it? Yeah. I am.
I have to be.
Time marches on and I'm not getting younger. In a lot of ways I'm happier with myself and more comfortable in my skin than I've ever been. I embrace so many of the qualities about myself that I used to dislike or deny, and I've left behind mountains of baggage and bitterness. I'm a very nice and caring person, and a loyal friend... I'm also a sensitive, overly chatty, anxious, unorganized dingbat. That's just me, and that's ok. I won't ever be Martha Stewart, but as long as I consider myself a work in progress and don't lose my insight, it doesn't matter how old I am. Because what's even scarier than aging is stagnating and losing my open mind. So I will continue to evolve and grow.
Maybe I'll even do a tequila shot with my daughter to celebrate her 21st...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment