Musings and observations, by Rachel T

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Yes.

I recognize that Valentine's Day is a "Hallmark holiday" and that we, as a society, are being manipulated and bullied into buying cards, flowers, and chocolates to prove to our loved ones that we care. I recognize that, and I'm totally okay with it. I love it anyway.

As a big fan of capitalism, I'm not offended in the least that businesses market the heck out of their "merchandise of love". And for all the naysayers who dismiss Valentine's Day because "you should show your love every day, and shouldn't need a manufactured holiday to let your significant other know how you feel", well, sure! If the world was perfect and full of rainbows and sunshine, and the economy was strong, and we had no pressures of everyday life, we'd all probably be better at recognizing our blessings. But life gets busy, and stressful. We get caught up in our obligations, and sometimes a tap on the shoulder in the form of a Hallmark holiday isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So this week, I'm using this forum as a love letter to my husband, Frank, to my children, Juleigh, Sierra, and MarcE, my stepsons Sean and Bryan, to my folks and to my sister Judy, to Hannah and to my awesome extended family, my dear friend Jen, and terrific co-worker Lisa. I want to be able to say that you all know how important you are and how much I count on your support, but maybe I've dropped the ball and I need Valentine's Day to remind me to say thank you, and I love you all. I'll try to do a better job of letting the people in my circle know how much I appreciate them.

That's a worthy goal...

But in case I get caught up in the demands of every day life, I'll always have Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment