Remember Seinfeld? The "show about nothing"? Remember how danged funny that show was? This blog isn't funny, like a Seinfeld episode, but it's about "nothing" and how "nothing" made an impression on me.
Tonight I was at my folks' house with the hubby and two younger kids (hereafter referred to as "The Littles",) where we also met up with my older daughter and her boyfriend to have some Jewish/Greek soul food and catch up.
The food was good, the conversation was relaxed, and dinner was uneventful... in a good way. My firstborn and I have not always had an easy time of things, and rebuilding is never easy, but the tension that has sat between us for so long like a lead weight seems to be gone. The resentment she felt toward The Littles, gone. Peace and harmony? Present and accounted for.
How nice!
Eventually, I excused myself from the table and hid in a bedroom for an hour to go to class. But the whole time I was gone, I kept hearing maniacal laughter and chatter from the kitchen. Like, crazy laughter! What was that about? So, after seminar, I went back to see what was up.
There at the table sat my three children and my mother, talking about things like the kids' early childhood imaginary friends, arm flab, baby birth weights, ground nuts (don't ask), and other random topics that, when boiled down, amount to nothing really, but they were cracking up. Cracking up! The best part of all? My mom saying to me, twice, "I have never seen these kids laugh so much, ever!"
That's the best thing I could have heard. It made my day... I may not have been in the room for the "festivities" but my mother was enjoying her grandchildren, my children were enjoying each other, my dad and husband were off in another room doing their thing with the computers (and enjoying that), and all was right in the world.
It was nothing, seriously! It was just normalcy, to most people... but life hasn't always played out this way for me, so this evening of peace, silliness and laughter spanning the generations made this a Very Good Day.
So, my conclusion? Treasure the nothingness, the absence of drama. It's the best thing ever. Even if it's not a "Seinfeld" episode!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment